Saturday, June 5, 2010

Egwero returns to Golden League

After missing out from the last leg of the AFN Golden League Meet held in Markurdi, Nigeria's current fastest man, Ogho-Oghene Egwero, is set to make a return to the fifth edition of the League, which gets underway later today at The Dan Ayiam Stadium in Owerri.

Egwero, who returned to the country on Monday said in a telephone interview that he would do all to claim another race win in Owerri. "It is good to be back. I hope to continue from where I stopped before I travelled to participate in some other athletics meets in Germany."

Before his departure, Egwero had previously won the first three editions of the league held in Kaduna, Ibadan and Lagos. He was, however, displaced in absentia by close rival Benjamin Adukwu who won the last leg in Markurdi. "I am happy for him winning in Markurdi, but I am back to take my place," Egwero said.

Germany trip

Speaking on his trip to Germany, the KADA 2009 100m gold medallist said he was happy for the opportunity to go and compete in Europe but complained of the circumstances under which he had to run.

"I took part in three races. I won two and came second in the last but the times were not too impressive as I had to run the three races in the rain," he said.

For Egwero, winning the remaining two legs of the Golden League is his primary focus for now, so that he can have a share of the one million naira up for grabs.

Meanwhile, the technical director of the AFN, Sunday Bada, has assured that the Owerri Meet would be as successful as other legs of the meet.

Events to hold in Owerri

Some of the events that will be competed for in Owerri include the 100 metres, 400 metres,

800 metres, 400 metres hurdles, Triple Jump, High Jump, 4x100 metres and 4x400 metres for men.

While the women will compete in 100 metres, 200 metres, 400 metres, 1500 metres, 5000 metres, 400 metres hurdles, Long Jump, 4x100 metres and 4x400 metres.

The top three athletes for each event are to receive cash prizes of N20, 000, N15, 000 and N10, 000.

No comments:

Post a Comment